Saturday, May 26, 2018

Another Short Story (Part Two)

Chapter Two

Clair looks hurt. Naria quickly undoes the silence spell so that I can smooth things over. Naria, Andrea, and Surrea all look to me to fix the situation. It's always been like that. 
"I can explain."
Clair crosses her arms. "I was going to get you out."
I hold up my hands in a disarming gesture. "We had a plan before you even captured me. I didn't have a way to tell them to call it off." I motion to the other girls.
Clair steps inside the room and closes the door. "Who are you?" she asks, looking at the other girls. I notice her eyes linger on Surrea's blindfold. 
The girls look at me, and I nod to them. 
"I'm Surrea."
"Andrea."
"Naria."
"I assume you three were the cause of the trouble in the east quadrant earlier?" Clair asks, leaning against the wall.
They look at each other uncomfortably. 
"Yeah, that was us," Andrea admits. 
Clair sighs. "I'll be back. Stay here, and I might be able to work something out." 
"What if we break out while you're gone?" Andrea asks brightly.
Clair doesn't look amused. "Then you'll be caught again and put in seperate cells, with special measures taken to make sure you can't escape. Trust me, staying here is your best option. I'm just trying to help you guys."
"Because taking Arabella prisioner is helping us," Naria mutters under her breath. 
Opening the door, Clair pauses for a moment. "To be completely honest, I have no idea why we took Arabella. It was not my call, and it wouldn't have happened if I were involved in planning this maneuver." She shakes her head with a slight smile. "Probably why I wasn't involved."
For half an instant, I notice just how tired she seems. She's so young. Who got her tangled up in this stuff? This business is no place for most adults, much less a kid like her.
Clair steps out of the door. "I'll be right back. Hang tight." She pulls it shut, and I hear the lock click. 

No comments:

Post a Comment