Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Downside to Creativity: A Sort-Of Rant

Hello, dear readers!
I know it's been awhile since I actually buckled down and wrote a real post, rather than turning my thoughts into poetry or copy-pasting stories I've written recently to introduce you to some characters. But I felt like I ought to put some effort into today's blog post, and I didn't have it in me to poet today, and I had a blurry-ish idea of a concept to talk about-- so after a good 10 minutes spent determining what exactly I had in mind, here I am!

So..

Creativity has its benefits. It really does. It's satisfying to have brought something into existence, creating things stimulates your brain in ways most other things can't, and you get plenty of compliments and recognition for being a creative person. You feel accomplished, you see things in different ways and find inner beauty easily, you have something constructive to spend your money on, and overall, it's not a bad thing.

But it does have its drawbacks.

The first one I want to address is something I deal with constantly, especially today. Today, I attended a two-hour long meeting for the leadership team of my church, and it was a struggle. Why? I simply couldn't focus.This happens a lot during classes, sermons, movies, and the like as well. I get distracted by the story (or stories) I have floating around in my head, thinking about where I left off last and where I want to go with it next and what's happened already-- and before I know it, ten minutes have passed and I'm totally lost. This is helpful in situations when I'm bored, like if I'm waiting for something, but if I'm in the middle of a meeting and someone asks me a question and I had not been paying attention, it makes things really awkward. I've discovered if I have something to doodle with, or something to occupy my hands, it helps keep me "grounded" and not floating off in my thoughts, but even so, this is a downside to a creative mind that I deal with on a daily basis.

This second one is sort of related to the first one. It often feels like most, if not all, I do is connected in some way to my writing or art. This isn't something that I mind terribly, and my work has definitely improved because of it, but there will be times I'm listening to a song that suddenly reminds me of a specific part of a specific character's life and I go really, again? Plus, it sometimes ruins songs for me, especially if I dislike the character it reminds me of.  (I blame my sudden fascination with lofi hip-hop beats on this, since it has no lyrics and no connection to my writing at all.) Also, I'm constantly confronted by seeing a situation and immediately thinking about how I can incorporate it into a story or scene. I will mention that this has helped me go through several hard times and has improved my writing dramatically. It's just that sometimes it catches me off guard and just makes me realize normal people aren't like this. Normal people can appreciate this fully without dissecting it to use later.  But again, these doesn't bother me that much, it's just vaguely irritating.

The absolute worst thing is when you just can't create. Writer's block, artist's block, and so forth can get extremely exasperating. This gets empathized when you're in the mood to create something, anything, or you have ideas that you know will work out or become clearer if you could just let them out. Sometimes it's like you want to open the door to let a flood of, say, tennis balls (I don't know, tennis balls is all my brain is giving me right now) out of a closet, and these balls are the best things ever.... but the doorknob is jammed and you just can't get it unstuck.

Now. there are probably a few more things I could add here, things that I'm not really thinking about at the moment or that I can't really articulate right now, but since it's been a fairly busy/productive day today and tomorrow is going to be exhausting and I've already written about 700 words already, I'm going to cut it off here. I hope you enjoyed this post, or maybe learned something, or at least gained a sense of accomplishment for reading all the way through my complaints...
Anyway- goodnight, dear readers! I'll be back next week!
--Kaytie

No comments:

Post a Comment