Sunday, February 18, 2018

Mindstrike, Part Two

Chapter Two-- Answers, Sort Of
I stand openmouthed for a second, shocked. I run outside, looking around. Long-distance transportation just isn't possible. She's around here somewhere.
"Looking for me?"
Cadence is leaning against my front door.
"How?" I demand. "How did you do that?"
She takes two quick steps forward, placing her hands firmly on my shoulders.
"You wouldn't understand if I explained it."
I step back, pushing her hands away. "What about everything else?"
She sighs. "You don't give up easily, do you?"
I cross my arms and shake my head. 
"Inside."
I follow her back into my living room, where we both sit back down where we were before.
"Your family misses you, Rhea," she begins, softly. 
I narrow my eyes, feeling all the pain of leaving them over again. 
"Did they..."
"No, they didn't ask me to find you."
I nod. "Good."
"Your daughter is all grown up now. She's the prettiest eleven-year-old you'll ever see."
"What did he name her?" 
"Faith."
I bite my lip. That's one of the names we'd discussed before I had to go. 
"He told her why you left."
"Has she shown any signs of--"
"She did not inherit anything from you."
A sigh of relief escapes me. 
"Why are you here?"
"They deserve to see you again."
I shake my head. "I can't. Ever again. It's far too dangerous."
Cadence leans forward, looking deep into my eyes, reading my thoughts. 
"Not anymore."
"I can't be sure of that. He... that... that monster can't be dead like they say. He's hiding."
"You don't have to be afraid anymore, Rhea." 
I struggle to breathe, frustration and sadness choking me. 
"If I go to see them, they'll get hurt."
"And if they come to see you?"
She asks the question in such a way that makes me look up sharply.
"You didn't..."
"They know where you are. But they won't come until you're ready."
I fall back into the deep softness of the chair. 
"Okay."
To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment