Sunday, February 25, 2018

Mindstrike (Part Three)

Chapter Three
"Are you ready?"
Am I ready? To see them? To go back to life as it used to be eleven years ago?
"I don't know." 
Cadence watches me. It's like she can see my chaotic thoughts. Or maybe they're all too obvious.
It was so long ago. I've changed.
"You don't have to run anymore," she says again.
"I understand that. But..."
"I know." 

  Discord. That was the name of the man who pulled apart my family. He found out about me. By that time, I was done with hero-ing. I had a husband. I was expecting a child. 
He didn't care.
I was trapped. He cornered me between leaving my family or losing them forever. He taunted me. One night I woke up and he was in my house. Holding a knife to Jay's throat.
I left the next morning.
Jay understood. I explained everything and he reluctantly agreed that I had no choice. When Faith was born, I took her to him. From that point on, I disappeared from the face of the earth. I moved to a different town. I changed my phone number and any identification possible. I called myself Amira June instead of Rhea Silva. There was no trace of my past life. Up until now.

"I know," Cadence repeats.
I can't shake the feeling that she's experienced this herself.
"Are you sure they want to see me again? I've changed. Faith has never even seen me."
"Every night, Jay tells her stories of an amazing woman who saved his life and defended the world from evil. He never forgets a single detail from your height to the words you said. Faith spends every day hoping and praying to see this wonderful mother face-to-face."
I close my eyes. "I'm not that superhero anymore. I'm not Mindstrike."
"She will understand. Let her come and see you."
I look up at Cadence. "How do you know?"
She shrugs. "I've talked to Jay."
A sigh escapes. "Okay."
"Okay?"
"I'm ready."
Cadence disappears. A few minutes later, someone knocks on the door. I open it.
"Rhea?"
"Jay!"

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment